Friday 28 February 2014

RECIPE: Banana and Walnut Loaf Cake

What do you do when you have a few extra very ripe bananas on a spare Sunday afternoon? Use it to make something yummy of course! Even though I’m a nutritionist I love the smell and taste of freshly made straight-out-of-the-oven home-made cake or any bakes. With my first attempt at making banana loaf cake I kind of just made up the recipe as I went along, which came out really nice (if I do say so myself!). This is very rare for me as I usually have to follow a recipe for something to come out right.


And because I like baking and have to follow a recipe (usually) I have to plan and prepare myself mentally and make sure I have all the ingredients, which takes time. But this time I just dived straight into it. And when I got the ingredients out, my mum said worriedly, "Oh no!" thinking I was going to take the whole afternoon. So she was surprised at how quickly I rustled up this bake and how good it tasted. 

I have always enjoyed baking even with several recipes gone wrong. I just keep trying, and since becoming a nutritionist I have varied recipes to make it semi-healthy. There is nothing better than the smell of baking in the house, and of course sharing it with family and friends, so you are not tempting to eat the whole thing by yourself, everything in moderation right!

So, once I made it and tasted it I made sure I quickly wrote down my measurements and ingredients, so I wouldn't forget, as I tend to do.


__________________________________________________________
               
Ingredients:
3 medium eggs
150ml Olive Oil (or coconut oil, canola oil)
50g Dark Brown Muscadavo Sugar
4tbsp Honey
3 very ripe medium bananas (300g)
150g Wholemeal Self-Raising flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn bicarbonate soda
100g Crushed Walnuts
100g Dark Chocolate Chips

How to make it:
  1. -          Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
  2. -          Whisk together; the eggs, oil, sugar and honey thoroughly.
  3. -          Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda. Mix well.
  4. -          Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
  5. -          Pour into a well-greased loaf tin.
  6. -          Bake for 30-40 minutes. Check to see if it is done with a skewer.  
  7. -          Let it cool for 10 minutes before turning it out.
  8. -          Enjoy with a nice cuppa. YUM!

_____________________________________________________________________

Hope you give it try when you have the urge to bake and have some bananas that no one seems to be eating. Give it a try and let me know. What else do yo like baking in your free time? What semi-healthy treats do you indulge in? Comment below and let me know. 


Be Happy! Be Healthy!


www.ahnutritionist.co.uk


By Ayshabibi Hafesji ANutr
A H Nutritionist

28th February 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment